In many communities, there are different levels of connection and impact that speak to people in a neighborhood or area. We discovered quickly, that basketball was like the dominant language of most men and young men in many of the communities of our city! Our heart and vision is that “Open Gym” would be a platform for guys to connect to guys.
There are 5 things we hope to happen through this outlet of connection:
- 1) Lasting relationships formed.
- 2) More experienced men would connect and influence younger men.
- 3) Positive environment would be created through true character and sportsmanship demonstrated by volunteers who play basketball in this ministry.
- 4) Good clean, competitive basketball would take place.
- 5) Character lessons would be developed through playing basketball and hearing the weekly teaching nugget.
Fall-Winter Schedule: Every Saturday from 12 -2 pm November through April at the Gerald R. Ford Academic Center during (851 Madison Ave. SE, Grand Rapids, gym entrance is in back of the school).
To get involved with our weekly Open Gym, just click below.